Monday, September 23, 2013

HURTING OTHERS


                                  DON'T HURT OTHERS
       An unhealthy way to respond to emotions is to thoughtlessly let all
hang out, to tell anybody and everybody exactly how you feel.  The apostle
Peter is a great example of indiscriminate expression. Peter was the John
Wayne of the New Testament -- a real door slammer.  He had no problem
telling anyone what was on his mind or how he felt.  I like to refer to him
as the one-legged apostle because he always had one foot in his mouth.

      Peter's impulsive nature got him into trouble more than once. In one
setting, he was the spokesperson for God, and Jesus said to him, "Blessed
are you Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you,
but My father who is in heaven" (Matthew 16:17).  Then moments later he
spoke for Satan, and Jesus had to rebuke him: Get behind Me Satan!" (verses
22-23).

     It was Peter who missed the point on the Mount of Transfiguration by
suggesting that they build three tabernacles to honor Moses, Elijah, and
the Master.  It was Peter who impulsively whacked off the ear of Caiaphas'
servant during Jesus arrest in Gethsemane.  And it was Peter who promised
to follow Jesus anywhere, even to death, then swearing only hours later
that he never knew Him.  The fact that Peter became a leader in the New
Testament church is evidence of the powerful transformation effected by the
Holy Spirit.

     Indiscriminate expression of emotions may be somewhat healthy for you,
but it may be unhealthy for others.  "There, I'm glad I got that off my
chest," you may say after an outburst.  But in the process you just
destroyed your wife, your husband, or children. Paul admonished: "Be angry,
and yet do not sin" (Eph. 4:26). If you wish to be angry and not sin, then
be angry the way Christ was: Be angry at sin.  He turned over the tables,
not the money changers.

     Let everyone be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; for
the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God (James 1:19,20).
-----------
PRAYER: Dear Lord, cultivate my heart and  teach me to be humble.  Grant
that I shall express myself in a gracious manner so I don't hurt others as
I seek emotional release.  Help me to be quick to apologize and seek
forgiveness for my indiscriminate expression and hurting words. Make me
Your instrument of peace and reconciliation as I acknowledge my
indiscretion and fault.


No comments:

Post a Comment