Wednesday, April 10, 2013

LAST HURRAH


THE LAST HOORAH
Then and Now

When I was young and in the dawn,
I rose to put my trousers on
For some adventurous new day
Of shining sun and making hay,
There was no sense of déjà vu
No fears possessed me in the loo,
And when I shaved my stripling chin
I found it hard to check a grin.
Handsome and brave, devoid of cares,
I'd race to breakfast down the stairs.

Now I have drained that youthful cup,
It takes me ages to get up
And first among the day's adventures
Is finding where I put my dentures.
The bathroom mirror's ruthless light
Suggests I passed away last night.
And at the door the postman knocks
With mail that's full of evil shocks
While by my plate a heap of pills
Bears witness to a dozen ills.

One simple pleasure does remain -
I'll go and change my will again.

No comments:

Post a Comment