Wednesday, April 10, 2013

CHILD OF NOBLE PARENTAGE


 CHILD OF NOBLE PARENTAGE

When I peruse the years that have passed

and scan the lines of my diurnal course,
images, both sweet and bitter, alight
upon the screen of memory:
some of undiluted bliss,
others starkly macabre;
yet others indistinguishably bitter-sweet,
burned indelible into the weave
of every fibre of my heart.

I sense my memory’s recording angel’s
greater readiness to erase
the sights and sounds of pure happiness
no less than those of horror;
but fain to surrender
the marks of bitter-sweet experience,
for they abide with uncommon
meaning and intent.

The lessons of the past –
not to be forgotten –
tell the tale of gladness,
not without its cost;
and of sadness, commingling intimate
in the dance of life with joy.

So no reason do I see
of ultimate regret;
but from the marriage of joy
and sadness
processes the child I call
“Thanksgiving”:
conceived in pain, knit in ecstasy,
extolling both the one and the other,
denying to neither the honour
of noble parentage. 

So let this offspring lead me

for the remainder of my days;
its limpid eyes looking into mine,
to empower me
when the way is steep;
and be there when the road is ended, and
my eyes are closed in sleep.

- Mervyn Carapiet




No comments:

Post a Comment